What is XML? The XML stands for Extensible Markup Language.
The XML web language has following usages and purpose:
- It is designed to better describe the data in web-pages.
- It allows users to define their own tags which gives lot of flexibility in marking and passing data.
- The XML specification ensures the document is parsed correctly and is well formed.
- XML is platform independent, hence it is used widely in data transfer.
- XML files can be combined with Stylesheets (called XSL), and can be used to generate output files such as XHTML, PDF or other file formats.
- XML is widely supported by variety of applications.
- Internet languages such as XHTML, XML Schema, SVG, RSS .. .etc are written using XML.