Inline frames are essentially same as frames but they are used to display a web page inside another web page.
They were and still are very popular for dynamic updates of web pages. Usually they are used in combination with the form submit function or AJAX. For instance Google Maps is based on this method.
The specification says that <iframe> element is deprecated and it should be used only with the "Loose" DTD. Instead suggestion is to replace it with an <object> element that can be used for same applications as <iframe>; let say the examples code editor in this tutorial is done via an object element.
- id, class (document-wide identifiers)
- lang (<noframes>) (language information), dir (<noframes>) (text direction)
- title (element title)
- style (inline style information)
- longdesc (iframe description)
- width, height (visual presentation iframe)
- name, src, frameborder, marginwidth, marginheight, scrolling (iframe controls and decoration)
HTML iframe element: